- Looked at the summary of the brief and distributed the tasks over the course of a certain time period.
- Found all links to relevant sites for textual analysis.
- Textual analysis piece of Quarantine poster.
- Textual Analysis of poster:
– The Blair Witch Project
– Paranormal Activity
- Conventional elements of a horror poster
- Looked at the three websites and explored the different features of each as an audience member so that the following day the analysis would be easier to digest.
- Textual Analysis of websites
– Quarantine DVD site
– Quarantine official website
– The Blair Witch project website (Starting screen & homepage)
– Paranormal Activity official website
- Conventional elements of a website
- Watched the teaser trailer for each link and noted down the website links
- Planning textual analysis of trailers
- Textual Analysis of trailers:
– The Blair Witch project
- Planning for trailer textual analysis
- Textual analysis of Paranormal Activity trailer
- Conventional elements of a teaser trailer
- Posted work done so far onto wordpress.com
- Produced my 3 questionnaires
- Distributed these questionnaires to 20 males and 20 females
- Produced my focus group questions for
- Posted on 3 internet forums a question
– LowBudgetHorrorFilms .com
- Created a online poll using polldaddy.com and used a APP to share on Facebook
- Collected the results from the distribution of my questionnaire’s
- Interpreted data and create graphs to represent this data
- Created 3 brainstorms to help me understand what the audience want from a trailer, poster and website from my questionnaire data
- Audience analysis – questionnaire data – presented information on PREZI
- Carried out focus group interviews
- Audience analysis – online polls – analysed the data collected
- Returned back to all 3 forums to see responses from other forum members
- Looked at the replies received from posting on the 3 forums
- Audience analysis – internet forum research
- Audience analysis – Focus group – analysed the response given by the 2 females and 2 females that I interviewed – presented information on PREZI
- Produced 5 flat plans each for poster and website
- Researched into possible typeface’s that I could use for film title – presented as a short clip which was created on IMOVIE
- Posted this clip to YouTube under the name ‘Possible Typeface’s For Film Title’
- Completed my film treatment
- Created my 9 page storyboard, adding sound, camera shots, edits etc.
- Location images – photographed some location and character images
- Took these images and manipulated them on the program ‘imovie’
- Location images – Took some more location and character images such as the ones in act 3
- Edited these images on the program ‘imovie’
SEPTEMBER 4TH & 5th
- Final edit if images and put images in order/sequence of events
- After editing and manipulating my images on imovie I created my short clip and placed sound over the clip.
- Created my YouTube account and posted short clip onto Youtube to then further embed on WordPress at a later date.
- Created a rough draft of my script, this was a handwritten draft. Using my storyboard I was able to identify the dialogue for various shots.
- Updated draft of script and wrote the script up onto a word document and applied the film script format to the script.
- Started to carry out book research after discovering ‘Carol Clover’ and the final female – application of Clover’s final female figure to my film and showing that the victim character of my film fits this role.
- Annotated book research which I carried out, from the text I extracted particular points tat I felt were necessary to apply to the production of my trailer, highlighted these points and wrote notes alongside them.
- Summarised book research and developed a spider diagram to present brief findings in preparation for the written up formal summary.
SEPTEMBER 19TH, 20TH, 21ST
- Summarized book research using summarised spider diagram notes and created a presentation on prezi to show findings. Posted onto WordPress to show the development of tree day’s worth of research.
- Created a production schedule in order to help during production of trailer. The schedule consisted of clearly defining costume, shot type, lighting etc. into separated columns and order that the shots were going to be taken (not necessarily chronologically).
- Using storyboard and production schedule created a shot list with a short description of the action within that shot. This was done to use alongside the production schedule on set so that struggles of using storyboard on set were reduced.
- Decided on the typeface that out of the five that I had researched
- Started to develop the billing block which is positioned at the bottom of the posted
- Added some production company logos and ‘restricted logo’ – legal requirement.
- Dropped image onto the poster and manipulated the image using Photoshop tools.
- Completed the billing block and positioned centrally
- Started to play around with the positioning of the production company logos.
- Website of the film added to the poster
- Production logo’s positioned so that there is this visual symmetry
- Started to position the tagline to the top far left.
- 5 start rating added in a deep red colour above the film title
- Added the remainder of the tagline to the top far left of the poster
- Separated the tagline text so that it is clear and visible and contrast the black background.
- Moved the image very slightly to assist the positioning of the tagline.
- Experimented with the black spacing left on the left hand side by adding a extract from another image
- Edited this image and placed upon poster
- Removed the small attic image which was placed on the poster after receiving feedback from target audience that its presence was unnecessary.
- Moved the release date nearer the tagline narrative to make the date more prominent so this sense of realism is recognised by the audience.
- Started development by website by application of black background
- Dragged edited film title from poster onto webpage
- Added the area links that were decided through questionnaires and focus group response.
- Edited area links by adding a glow on the background
- Moved the film title to the top o the homepage
- Added institutional information such as production company, links to other webpage’s
- Added advisory line of text
- Found appropriate image that could be used on the homepage and dropped onto the website
- Re-positioned the two lines of text at the top of the page
- Changed size of review quote to make less prominent.
- Edited the image to give a decayed effect and dissolve into blackness.
- Final editing of first draft homepage
- Editing consists of manipulating the image further by zooming into the facial expressions and removing surroundings that are on display.
OCTOBER 2ND, 3RD
- Preparation was carried out for the filming of the trailer the following Monday and Tuesday. Preparations consisted of gathering props from other people and finding props within house and also the development of the ‘missing poster’ which was used in act three of the trailer.
- Conducted the filming of my trailer, act 1 and act 2 were filmed. Costume and make up was carried out during the time period of 4-6pm whilst waiting for daylight to disappear and the darkness to develop. The shooting of the trailer was carried out between the hours of 6.30pm-10pm in the locations of: woods/forest and alley way within female B’s house.
- Morning: Log and captures footage which was filmed on the previous day. Put this onto final cut pro and started to edit the footage that was film watching through each scene which has been filmed numerous times and choosing the best scene to go with. Also learned the basic functions on Final Cut Pro in order to start manipulating content which had been filmed.
- Evening: Part 2 of filming trailer. Moving onto the third location which was Female B’s house inside the bedroom I filmed the final act. Started filming at 7pm as this is when the room started to fill with darkness when the lights where off.
- Editing of Act 1 continued and realisation of certain sound that could be extracted from one scene and put onto another was established. Cutting certain parts of act 1 using the razor tool has now put in a position where I am ready to move onto editing the next scene, although the first act may not be finished it is important that I move on and quickly establish the scenes that I want to use for each act then further develop each act in detail.
- Developing learning on Final Cut Pro and adding ‘black fades’ into the scene.
- Finishing touches to promotional material: poster and website. Upload of promotional material and description of development posted onto WordPress to meet the October 11th first draft deadline.
- Started to develop Act 2 within teaser trailer, this consisted of the organisation of the short and snappy shots as this is the sector of the trailer that leads to the climax which follows in Act 3.
- Development of Act 2, location of this part of the trailer is the alley way/garage area within female B’s house, the main development which is obvious through the viewing of my trailer is the shot reverse shot that has been used to make the facial expressions and reaction of female B prominent to the audience.
- After reaching a point where act 2 was consistent of it’s main bodily structure I decided to move onto the development of act 3, the location here has changed to female B’s bedroom, to make it obvious that in this seen female B is awoken by the door opening obliviously I have added a cross fade effect that shows the development of time as she is sleeping by showing her movement in her bed within the night. This effect that has been added shows that time has past; it also increases suspense due to the short wait that the audience have to encounter when awaiting the disruption of order (Todorov) to occur.
- Using razor tool cut up the shots where female B is seen to move out of her bed towards the area where paranormal movement has occurred.
- Added captions into the trailer
- Started to input fades in blackness between shots, started to input this from the beginning of the trailer.
- PROBLEM: ‘Media offline’ occurred on final cut when opening the trailer on final cut, problem was overcome by dragging the caption files that were on a USB onto the desktop of the Mac
- The duration of each caption was then reduced after gaining feedback on it’s time length from a member of my target audience.
- Recorded 3 news report narrations, decided to use 3 news reports rather than 4 in order to make the content of the message more prominent when editing and making the recording into a montage.
- Quick completion of all three acts within trailer
- Started to develop news report narration of 2 males and 1 female by cutting up each narration into separate pieces and layering it up.
- Focused on the completion of the radio narration, using the effects on Garageband to put emphasis on certain parts of the narration.
- Editing and reducing length of narration, exported to disk in preparation for the file to be dragged and dropped into final cut.
- Moved sound file onto final cut and adjusted the beginning of the trailer so that the radio narration would play during a black screen shot – focus is on content of narration.
- Production of non-diegetic sound on Garageband, started to look back at trailer and use storyboard to help establish which areas of the trailer needed audio emphasise e.g. sound of door opening paranormally within the night has been enhanced. Also decide on the deep intense sound/tone that is looped continuously through trailer.
- Continuation of non-diegetic sound, final touches to visuals in first trailer draft such as the editing of visuals during the audio ‘I can feel her breathing on me’, black screen shot out in over this sound.
- Final editing of sound applied to certain parts of trailer, enhanced sound such as the increase in pace and sound of heartbeat towards the middle of the trailer.
- Prepared trailer e.g. exported to a file type that would be ready to upload onto Youtube in order to meet the 22nd November first draft trailer deadline the following week.
- Uploaded trailer onto Youtube.com on my channel named anisham10
- Posted link into WordPress.com
- Printed out the 4 questions in order to read through and start briefly planning the answers to the evaluation questions the following day.
- Decided to start the planning notes for the evaluation with the last question ‘How did you use new media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?
- Finished notes for last question of evaluation and the second question ‘How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?
- Development of trailer based on feedback given on first draft
- Completion of all evaluation notes in the form of a brainstorm for each question followed by a bullet point list of explanatory points.
- Wrote up the answers to evaluation questions using Microsoft Word to correct punctuation and grammar.
- Completion of 3 evaluation questions in essay format.
- Development of trailer based on feedback given on first draft.
- Construction of questions for focus group interview on 3 new media products created: poster, website and trailer.
- Questions typed up onto Microsoft Word ready for Interview which has been planned for Tuesday 7th December.
- Handed in first draft of evaluation, awaiting feedback for corrections and additional points to include.
- Development of trailer based on feedback given from first draft.
- Editing of radio narration sound clip, reduction of duration and irrelevant information given to audience as apart of the narrative.
- Received feedback on first draft evaluation of the 3 questions completed.
- Seeking advice from target audience and others realised that trailer still had to be reduced in length from 1.22 to maximum 1.10.
- Removed negative shot from trailer and manipulated time length of digital fast forward and rewinding effect of female B (victim) found at the end of trailer.
- Editing of captions, removal of unnecessary punctuation such as apostrophes.
- Emphasis of caption shots through the used of sound effect found on Garageband ‘Boom’.
- Using the notes from the feedback of my first draft evaluation I corrected my draft of my evaluation.
- Added additional evaluative points such as the use of ’16 bit sound’ and the realistic atmosphere that the camera microphone absorbs in comparison to an external microphone.
- Conducted my focus group interview with 3 members of my target audience, 2 females and 1 male, the other male was not available for the interview however I feel the response from my focus group was strong therefore the absence of one member of my focus group did not hinder upon the overall response and audience feedback
- Started to record the first question of my evaluation onto Garageband and playback editing the audio.
- Recorded the 2nd and 4th question of the total four evaluation questions, decided to alter and change the wording of certain sentences used within the written script.
- Majority of the day was focused on the capturing and editing of the focus group interview, this consisted of reducing the footage captured from 10 minutes down to a more objective duration of 6 minutes.
- Added the edits including cross dissolves and fade in fade outs.
- Started to collate images and screenshots to drop over the audio of my evaluation questions that have been recorded.
- Final editing of evaluation which is inclusive of dropping images and muted video clips onto the audio.
- Split the clip into two parts in order for it to be prepared to be uploaded on Youtube.com
- Other progress made was the development of the 3rd question i.e. Facebook (social networking) feedback, this consisted of gathering feedback and writing it up.
- Uploaded all final products and evaluation onto WordPress.com